Sweet Potatoes and PCOS
This combo may come as a surprise to you but believe it or not, sweet potatoes are a food to add into your diet if you are looking to control Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. (PCOS)
What is PCOS?
PCOS occurs in women of reproductive age due to hormonal imbalance. The imbalance can cause infrequent, irregular or prolonged menstruation, excess androgen and/or cystic ovaries.
Addressing this imbalance is important to avoid the risk of long-term complications such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Factors that can play a role towards PCOS...
Genetics - PCOS runs in families. It has been commonly reported that daughters of women with the condition are more likely to also develop the condition.
Insulin resistance - Most women dealing with PCOS have low insulin sensitivity. In simple terms, their body can't use insulin properly, causing weight gain. This pushes the pancreas to produce excess insulin, triggering the ovaries to produce more androgen.
- Inflammation - Weight gain leads to inflammation, often stimulating the ovaries to produce excess androgens, resulting in hirsutism and acne.
How do sweet potatoes play a role?
Our organic sweet potato flour is the perfect way to supplement the nutrients needed to ease PCOS symptoms. It is dried and ground within a specific time from harvest ensuring optimal nutrient retention, so you won't be missing out on any nutrients; it is simply another way of adding it into your diet!
Some carbs are known to raise blood sugar, therefore one of the biggest reasons to bad insulin levels, however there are two types of carbs, complex and refined, one is good and the other is bad.
High in Vitamin C -
- Essential for hormone production (progesterone within the ovaries)
Packed with antioxidants-
- Beta carotene is an antioxidant that contributes to progesterone production, glowing skin and overall immunity!
High in magnesium -
- Magnesium can help symptoms of depression, insomnia and anxiety. All of which can worsen the symptoms of PCOS. Overall an extremely powerful mineral!
Here's a delicious waffle recipe using our pure, natural and 100% organic sweet potato flour
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water
- 100g gluten free flour (or other flour of choice)
- 2 tbsp Dhow’s Organic sweet potato powder
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp oil (coconut, canola or melted vegan butter)
- 150 ml soy milk
1. In a small bowl, combine the flax seed and water and set aside for 5 mins.
2. Add all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then gradually mix in the oil, soy milk and flax seed mixture.
3. Cook your waffles in your waffle maker like usual! (Add some oil to the machine so that it doesn’t stick).